This library is somewhat not maintained anymore. But I'm glad that it did what I wanted the most. It moved people away from "ncurses" mindset and these days we see both re-implementations of termbox API in various languages and even possibly better libs with similar API design. If you're looking for a Go lib that provides terminal-based user interface facilities, I've heard that https://github.com/gdamore/tcell is good (never used it myself). Also for more complicated interfaces and/or computer games I recommend you to consider using HTML-based UI. Having said that, termbox still somewhat works. In fact I'm writing this line of text right now in godit (which is a text editor written using termbox-go). So, be aware. Good luck and have a nice day.
Termbox is a library that provides a minimalistic API which allows the programmer to write text-based user interfaces. The library is crossplatform and has both terminal-based implementations on *nix operating systems and a winapi console based implementation for windows operating systems. The basic idea is an abstraction of the greatest common subset of features available on all major terminals and other terminal-like APIs in a minimalistic fashion. Small API means it is easy to implement, test, maintain and learn it, that's what makes the termbox a distinct library in its area.
Install and update this go package with
go get -u github.com/nsf/termbox-go
For examples of what can be done take a look at demos in the _demos directory. You can try them with go run:
go run _demos/keyboard.go
There are also some interesting projects using termbox-go:
- godit is an emacsish lightweight text editor written using termbox.
- gotetris is an implementation of Tetris.
- sokoban-go is an implementation of sokoban game.
- hecate is a hex editor designed by Satan.
- httopd is top for httpd logs.
- mop is stock market tracker for hackers.
- termui is a terminal dashboard.
- termdash is a terminal dashboard.
- termloop is a terminal game engine.
- xterm-color-chart is a XTerm 256 color chart.
- gocui is a minimalist Go library aimed at creating console user interfaces.
- dry is an interactive cli to manage Docker containers.
- pxl displays images in the terminal.
- snake-game is an implementation of the Snake game.
- gone is a CLI pomodoro® timer.
- Spoof.go controllable movement spoofing from the cli
- lf is a terminal file manager
- rat lets you compose shell commands to build terminal applications.
- httplab An interactive web server.
- tetris Go Tetris with AI option
- wot Wait time during command is completed.
- 2048-go is 2048 in Go
- jv helps you view JSON on the command-line.
- pinger helps you to monitor numerous hosts using ICMP ECHO_REQUEST.
- vixl44 lets you create pixel art inside your terminal using vim movements
- zterm is a typing game inspired by http://zty.pe/
- gotypist is a fun touch-typing tutor following Steve Yegge's method.
- cointop is an interactive terminal based UI application for tracking cryptocurrencies.
- pexpo is a terminal sending ping tool written in Go.
- jid is an interactive JSON drill down tool using filtering queries like jq.